OCP Tree Planting

A place for everything else... Talk smack, talk plastic, talk about when you're going to be at the course, and talk about that time you chained out!
Ramsfan1

OCP Tree Planting

Postby Ramsfan1 » Mon May 21, 2018 8:03 am

Wanted to update all our players about the tree planting situation currently taking place at OCP. I have what I hope is good news.

I walked much of the course with a park official, Head Grounds Man Jim Cole and the architect of the planting project. I asked him specific questions about the project and planting locations. Fearing a narrowed fairway, I questioned the recent 5-6 trees that were planted on the left and right sides of hole 7. I was told they will grow UP and not OUT. I am taking the man at his word. The flags marking trees to be planted around hole 14 have been removed entirely. They cannot plant on hole 6- the old mansion site has been declared a historic site and must not be altered. I asked about holes 1, 2, 5, 9, 10, 11, 13 and 14, and was told no planting would be done in fairways or throwing lanes. There MAY be some planting around hole 12, but I specifically showed the man how that hole was played by throwing a couple of discs. Any of the few trees planned for the area should not be in the way. The only negative was hole 13, which will eventually be losing all of the large trees lining the right side of the fairway- they are diseased and dying. This, however, is a different project that will be overseen by the county, as will replacement planting, but this is another issue for another day.

All in all this was a good meeting which yielded excellent news and an understanding of what is necessary to maintain the integrity of the course. Originally, holes 1,2,4,6, 9, 14 and 18 all stood to be significantly impacted, altering both our course, cross country and other park activities. This has been an unwanted source of stress. Great credit is due to Mary Jane Bavais, the Supt. of Recreation for the Parks Dept, who came to the site to help us fight this battle. Without her help, it could have been a much different story. I am CAUTIOUSLY OPTIMISTIC that things will be smooth moving forward. Please contact me with any issues/questions or concerns, and I thank all our players for their patience and understanding in dealing with this issue.

weencycle

Re: OCP Tree Planting

Postby weencycle » Mon Jul 30, 2018 12:54 pm

Was just at OCP for the first time in a while. What about the recently planted trees on 15? Specifically, from the alt tee (original tee)?

Thanks,
Stephen
-Stephen Mitchell

Ramsfan1

Re: OCP Tree Planting

Postby Ramsfan1 » Tue Jul 31, 2018 6:37 am

Hey, Stephen- good to hear from you.

As you can see, the trees planted on 15 have eliminated playing the current alternate tee position. We will be looking into the possibility of another spot and quite possibly might just only have one tee pad on 15. This project was a total nightmare which required my constant involvement to make sure the course wasn't wrecked. Original plans had at least 7-8 holes totally unplayable. This particular spot was a battle I had to concede to get what we wanted elsewhere.

Fortunately, the rest of the course is in pretty good shape. The planting they did on holes 4, 7 and 18 in particular actually enhance the holes in my opinion. Thanks for checking in, Stephen, and hope to see you soon!

Return to “General Discussion”